one Use the shape of objects
Combining 2-3 different styles is easier if you respect the unity of form. It will not cause rejection and will look harmonious. What else do you need for a comfortable interior?
The photo below shows the interior, which uses furniture and accessories from different styles: there is both modern and something from the classics, you can even find features of futurism if you look at the nearest bedside table. But the single form of this furniture: thin legs, soft textile seats, create a single and comfortable atmosphere.
Interior Design: Heidi Caillier Design
2 Find the right color combination
A competent combination of different colors is a whole science that designers have been studying for a long time. But you don’t have to waste it, because we’ve put together 6 universal tips for combining different shades in the interior.
- Blue color is successfully combined with red, orange, white and green.
- Terracotta looks harmonious with bright green objects and shades of lime. This combination creates a cheerful mood.
- The combination of light blue and cream colors looks great in rooms where there is little natural light, it gives coziness and organicity.
- Yellow is often associated with joy, but it is almost never dominant. It can be successfully combined with a neutral range: gray, beige, white. And if you want brightness, crimson, bright blue or grassy green will help.
- Deep greens and emeralds pair well with reds, while muted turquoise pairs with neutral beiges and whites.
- Pink shades are always complex, but you can find an approach to them. If a bright palette is chosen, beige or white are added to pink, and muted or dusty pink is successfully combined with dark blue.
Bonus: The easiest way is to make the background white. Almost any color is combined with it; in contrast, you can create an interesting eclectic interior, as in this case.
Interior Design: Wolfe Rizor Interiors
3 Combine materials
Different styles are characterized by differences in textures and materials. So, in classic interiors, we most often see velvet, yellow metal, wood. In the loft – stone and leather. In country interiors – wood and textiles. In order to correctly combine materials in different styles, you must adhere to the following principles:
- In one interior, it is better not to combine several finishing materials with the same surface: natural wood and laminate, ceramic tiles imitating wood, and the same laminate.
- The basic rule for combining textures is contrast and harmony: smooth is perfectly combined with relief, hard wood with soft upholstery.
- If the room is divided into zones, it is ideal to use different textures for each zone.
A striking example of a successful mixture of styles and materials is this hallway. Modern classics can be seen in a small ottoman, a chandelier suggests futurism or industrial style, and on the floor we see an interesting idea of zoning with tiles and laminate: tiles are laid at the entrance, it is convenient, practical, and in this case also beautiful.
Interior Design: Concept58 Interior Design Studio
four Seek Unity in Unexpected Detail
You can change the interior of a room with one bold detail. For example, add an oriental carpet to a modern interior, or a futuristic sofa to a classic living room.
In general, working with a combination of classics and novelty is a favorite technique of many designers. For example, in the room in the photo below, a classic fireplace became such a detail. And it looks very interesting in a modern interior.